Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Practice not letting Other People's Words Bring You Down!!!


                Good Morning Universe.  Today I want to talk about how often we let other people’s words and actions take away our comfort, joy, security, and other similar emotions.  Just a few days ago I let someone else’s interpretation of my actions Really Effect ME!!!

                It was just this past Sunday, Mother’s Day to be more specific.  I was excited to spend the morning making a wonderful Brunch for Susan, and didn’t even let the fact that I was unable to celebrate with my own Mother in Sacramento get me down.

                I woke up very early and went to the gym so that I could be all ready to get cooking by 11am.  I spent the late morning cooking pancakes and an egg bake.  I made the food, set the table, served everyone, and even did most of the dishes.  (Nick and Justine pitched in on the clean up…Thanks Guys)

                Anyways, the brunch itself went wonderful.  After all the dishes were loaded up I ran the dishwasher and I absentmindedly put dish soap in the dishwasher instead of a dishwasher tab, OOPS!!!  The dishwasher got foamy and I had to wet vac the bubbles out, it sucked but I didn’t consider it a big deal.  Sometimes things just happen.

                The problem I experienced came later in the afternoon when my Father called me in order to be sure I was OK.  I thought this was crazy because I had a great day.  He then shared that he had been thinking for hours about my mistake with the dishwasher.  He asked if I was doing ok, if I was preoccupied, or if I was drunk.
 
                I told him the truth.  I wasn’t preoccupied, I wasn’t sad or angry, I wasn’t drunk, and that I simply made an absent minded mistake.  We are all humans and we make mistakes.  When I went back to my apartment I was upset.  I couldn’t understand why he made such a big deal about the dishwasher or why he felt he HAD to share it with me.

                In fact I was still irritated when I was getting ready for bed.  It was the next morning that I realized that I was letting his issue and his concern become mine.  I realized that he needed to share those feelings for whatever reason.  I don’t have to agree with him or feel the need to justify myself.  I also don’t have to internalize it, evaluate it, or let it make me question myself.  I was responsible for how I let someone else’s words affect me.
 
                Now my task is to keep this lesson with me in the future.  I need to remember that I am responsible for myself, my thoughts, and my actions.  It will take practice to keep my boundaries in place so that I can take other peoples words and actions to a place within myself that I can grow from.  What boundaries can you enact today that will help you live in Positivity and Love?

To The Universe
Love Brandy

No comments:

Post a Comment