Thursday, August 16, 2012

Lessons from My Life


Thursday August 16, 2012

               I have been thinking a lot about my past mistakes recently, and I have been able to begin looking at my past mistakes with much less shame then I used to.  I believe that we learn from our mistakes, and imperfection leads to enlightenment.  I have a lot of baggage, negativity, and most of all regret in relation to my past.  Today it is easier to look at my mistakes as a foundation that will make my future better.

               I have hurt myself and my family with my selfish behavior and past mistakes.  I am a recovering drug addict, drug dealer, and felon.  Those are just the major mistakes and negative behaviors I have been involved in.  I have not been addicted to drugs for close to three years now, but the consequences of those mistakes are still present today.  Though I choose to forgive myself, sometimes I still feel pain.  I know I must not wallow in pain and self pity, that will not bring me love and happiness.

               I have begun to remake my life into something positive, and I have hopes and dreams for the first time in many years.  I am on a path that fills me with happiness and I know that the Universe will reward me for my hard work and belief.  I have begun to learn that I must not compare my life and my mistakes with others, each of us have our own path.  Some people are happy and stable early in life and will remain this way until death.  Others will learn lessons based on their mistakes much later in life.  The point is to Learn the Lessons life has to give you.

               When we search for meaning in our lives we must remember to include forgiveness for ourselves, otherwise we are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.  It is not wise to pretend that the mistakes or pain in your past don’t exist.   What is important is grow from your past and use it to build the future you dream of.  Forgive yourself, forgive others, and try to look towards your future more often then you dwell in your past.  What can lessons of your past can you give thanks for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment