Wednesday, August 22, 2012

I am no longer Anonymous


               Ok readers, whoever you may be, I am ready to step out, to speak out, and to be noticed.  I am completely inspired to begin sharing my story, it’s won’t always be pretty or positive, but it’s mine.  I am no longer afraid, I am no longer worried about being so open and vulnerable, I KNOW that my story has many aspects which other people can relate to.

               This morning I was reading online about a new documentary that is being worked on called, “The Anonymous People” by Greg Williams.  This is a film about people who are in recovery from drug and alcohol addiction.  I only saw a small clip of the film, as it is still being completed for release, but it touched me deeply and my eyes were swelling with tears.

               The main focus of this film is trying to bring addicts out of the mindset that we need to be anonymous, that we should be sharing our stories to help ourselves and others.  I have operated from the mindset of secrecy about my addictions and my past because of fear.  I was afraid that others would judge me, I was afraid that others would reject me, I was afraid that I couldn’t handle the pain and guilt of confronting my past.  I WAS WRONG.

               I believe that I can use my past mistakes to help others and I believe that when I help others I help myself.  I feel good saying out loud that I am a heroin addict, I am a felon, I am in recovery.  I feel even better saying I am happy today, I am hopeful today, and I am ready to be open and honest today.  I will not allow my past mistakes to bring guilt, fear, and unhappiness with me into my future.

               What can you say today that will empower you?  What mistakes from your past can you admit too today?  Can you forgive yourself and others so you can move forward in peace?  The answer my friends is  “YES YOU CAN.”  Stay tuned as I learn to open up, be heard, and be confident.

No comments:

Post a Comment